Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lobsters, Clams, and Planes...oh my!

This weekend we traveled to my grandparents' house on Long Island for their Annual Clam Bake. Not only was this Jack's first Clam Bake, but this was also Jack's first flight. And it took Mommy, Grammy, and Pop to carry all Jack's stuff on and off the plane. For safety reasons I bought Jack his own seat on the plane and lugged a diaper bag, stroller, and entire carseat and base with us....ughhh.
Jack did amazing on the plane. I fed him and gave him a pacifier during take off and landing to help him pop his ears and he slept during the rest of the flights. The only crying was due to the fact that I took the bottle out of his mouth for a second to wipe the milk off his chin - we all know how much he likes to eat. I think all the people around us really appreciated Jack's quietness!

On Saturday morning we helped set up for the Clam bake - put out table cloths, carried tables and chairs, put together baskets of utensils, lobster bibs, and napkins. Jack busied himself with a gigantic lobster for most of the morning. It was almost like you could hear him say "Now, if I pull off this leg, will the meat come out?"


Saturday evening (after showers and changes of clothes) we headed over to enjoy the delicious food. Our family took up a whole table (my grandparents, parents, cousin and her husband). We all really enjoyed the food and company.



This is a picture of a bake before it was unloaded. The bake has onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes in one bag, clams and mussels in another, corn and lobsters. They also serve salad, rolls, clams on the half shell, two kinds of clam chowder, corn chowder and hot dogs. Mmmmmm delicious! Oh, and don't forget the appetizers and desert!




Here is a photo of my grandparents in their traditional "Clam Bake" garb....my grandmother has a "lobster" skirt.....don't think my grandfather is "lobstery" enough? Oh, just watch out, because he will show you his lobster boxers!!!
We had a wonderful weekend! It was topped off at church on Sunday when we got a blessing from my grandparents' priest for all four generations of our family!





1 comment:

  1. Looks like such a fun weekend! Love that last pic of your grandparents - too cute.

    ReplyDelete