Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sometimes you just gotta watch the fan...


So, I apologize to all of you who check this regularly for updates on Jack...I haven't been on in a week or so. It's not at all that we haven't done anything or that I've been too busy...it's much simpler than that. My camera was out of batteries and it just didn't seem as exciting to post updates without pictures. I, like most new parents, do have the required battery collection - about 3 6-packs of AA, 2 8-packs of AAA, and a bucket of assorted C's and D's - but have been too lazy to reload the camera with it's bi-weekly AA feeding. So, there you go.


Over the last week or so Jack has had many fun adventures. We went to Babies in Bloom at the Annapolis Library. Babies in Bloom is like a music/story class for kids under 24 months. We sang silly songs and nursery rhymes, played with musical instruments and beach balls and had a blast. The class is a little old for Jack, but he absolutely loved watching all the older kids crawl and teeter around the classroom. Last Sunday we went fishing on the boat with Daddy and Pop. While not thrilled about his life jacket, Jack still had a great time. He really loves the breeze when the boat goes fast. We caught quite a few fish, including some called "Croakers". I'm glad Jack isn't learning animal noises yet because he would be thoroughly confused. Fish that croak? What sounds do frogs make then?!?!? I hope this doesn't come up in therapy down the road.


Well, today's post is a little different....something I really thought about quite a bit. Becoming a new parent you get all kinds of advice (I know you all know this), some welcome and some not so welcome. I always love to hear any good tips that parents want to give me to make sure I am able to raise Jack as a wonderful, well-rounded child (or even how to get an extra 5 minutes in the shower each day). Some of the best advice I have received was to just let him be himself. When he was the newborn "lump" this didn't quite make sense to me, but it's starting to be more clear now that he's forming a personality. I appreciate all the advice from the mommies my age about naps and teething, but I find the advice form grandparents to be the most beneficial in helping Jack become a great person (like the above). Obviously in letting your child be himself, make some of his own decisions, etc you have to be careful. You can't let them do something to hurt themselves or others, and help them learn how to make good choices. But you can't tell them what to do all the time because not only will they hate you for it, but they will not become the person they should become. This has not ever been more relevant to me than this summer when I hear Matt's stories about his plebes. Now, some of the problems are unavoidable - a broken leg, etc - but a lot of the problems that fall into Matt's lap to fix are brought on by parents that forced their children (whether by words or guilt) into a situation they did not want to be in - in this case, attending the Naval Academy. While we joke about it, and would love for Jack to attend the Naval Academy or Virginia Tech, he, of course, is free to attend the school of his choosing without pressure from us....even if it is West Point...or God-forbid, UVA. (on a side note I have already taught him Hokie fight songs to try and implant VT in his brain early :)). Although college is a long long way off, this is becoming more and more relevant to me on a daily basis and I know it will show up frequently over the next 18 years. So, you're still asking how this fits into my post for the day? Well....I've read the magazines, the books, the Internet articles on how to play with your infant. Tummy time (for a required time period each day), helping them learn to roll over, holding toys for them to grasp...and various other things....but after watching Jack crain his neck while he was eating and desperately try to look up while he was doing some tummy time....we decided to lay on our backs and chat....while we watched the fan. You know, books are great, but I'm gonna go with the advice of the other parents out there who have raised people I think are amazing and let Jack do what he wants today. There is plenty of time for tummy time this afternoon and tomorrow. Today, we are going to lay on our backs and watch the fan! (although I DO NOT recommend this for those of you who are type A personalities and didn't paint your own ceilings - I would have died form frustration if Jack hadn't kept me laughing the whole time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment