Sunday, April 20, 2014

Making Hay

The ship is doing a fitness competition called "Beat the Ship Home". We have 12 people on our team and the goal is simple. Accumulate enough miles as a team to run from where we're at back to Norfolk before the ship gets there. It's ~7500 miles in the next 7 months. If every person runs every day, it ends up being around 3 miles per person per day for the next 210ish days. Pretty awesome, right? Well, I was cranking out nine miles today when one of my Sailor's passed me to go workout and when he was done, I was still running. Being the good Sailor he is, he came over and said he was impressed. I told him I was doing the competition and had to "make hay while the sun shines". After saying this, I thought a few things: 1) I'm not sure when I became a 70-year-old farmer from Kansas, 2) I bet that Sailor thinks I should probably work harder during my workouts instead of tossing out kitschy catch-phrases, and lastly 3) Over the next 7 months, I have a remarkable gift of time. Oddly enough, I guess that's something that both Hank and I share:


Granted, Hank has a lot more of it in front of him than I do, but we both have the benefit of time on our side. The next 7 months, if I'm a good steward, have potential. I have the time-equity to benefit the ship, my department, and myself. I have the resolve to be the best leader for my department possible. I have the resolve to continue my professional development. I have the resolve to continue running and getting back down to my "fighting weight". I have the resolve to continue playing the guitar and piano and getting better each time I sit down with either one. I have the resolve in my attempt to continue walking the line.

The sun is shinning; it's time to make hay.

- Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment