Sunday, April 27, 2014

Descriptions

There are a lot of descriptions you are forced to reflect on while on deployment. The nature of the watches I stand, 4 hours and 55 minutes of routine with 5 minutes of excitement sprinkled in, the late nights talking with a friend, the drinks shared over port visits, all lends itself to talk about things that aren't a part of our normal daily dialogue. There have been several times over the past couple months where I've been asked about my family; my wife, my kids, my mother and father, sister and brother. It is interesting what you learn about yourself when asked to describe your "inner circle". I don't want to throw out my descriptions of everyone, but a few I think are noteworthy. Amy - driven; caring yet tenacious. Emma - dipped in glitter; literally tip-toes everywhere, like she floats into a room. Mom - prayer warrior; devoted to her family. As I've been talking with friends about all the people in my life, I've started to realize something: the characteristics and traits I use to describe people are largely what I want that person to be in my life; further, the characteristics of people I work to surround myself with, outside of my family, exemplify the characteristics in myself that I appreciate and want to nurture.

I appreciate and give Thanks every day for the countless blessings in my life. I just got an Easter card from my Mom today (USPS's fault, not hers!) with a handwritten note "Praying the God will bless you real good!" I believe that He has. Does. And will.


- Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment