Sunday, April 13, 2014

Make the Ship Go

This year Jack told Amy that he wanted a "Pirates of the Caribbean" party. And from the pictures she sent me, it was epic.





It is remarkably hard being away from home for things like this. But I want to share something that Amy sent me this past week that's really helped the last few days:

"I wish you could hear Jack's speech that he gives to Emma when she misses you.  About how important your job is.  Everyday he tells me that he wants to be in the Navy on "number 77" like you.  Today I asked him what he wants to do on the ship?  Be a pilot or a doctor?  He said no.  He wants to do what you do.  Make the ship go.  He said that's the most important part because no one else can do their important jobs if the ship can't go.  He said you make the ship go so it can save people.  He is so crazy proud of you.  And looks up to you.  Of what you are doing RIGHT NOW.  Not that you are at every soccer game or at his party.  Yeah, he wants you there, but at age 5 (almost said 4 ;) ) he already gets that sometimes we have to miss stuff we really like because we have to do something important."

So, today, I helped make the ship go.

I stood watch as Engineering Officer of the Watch. I coordinated repairs to important equipment. I helped prepare other Officers for their Warfare qualification. I played the piano for Church service.

Whether by turning propellers to resonate the water behind us or by playing "Eternal Father" to resonate in the hearts of those who heard it. Today, between it all, I helped make the ship go.

Happy Birthday Jack. Miss you Buddy.

- Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment