Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My boy

One of the things that sticks out to me from my Plebe year experience from the Naval Academy, is the "extreme" patriotism that runs rampant. It ran through me too. It makes you think of lofty ideals in giving your life, if required, in the service of your Country. Over the years, I've come to know and respect a different kind of patriotism. The one, similar to a marriage, that is a constant choice every day; deliberate in action and intent. Every day I wake up on the ship, I strive to make it a conscious decision, to be where I am, and what I'm doing. The most difficult part, is making that decision every day over the last four and a half years after I met my boy:


Obviously, no slight on Emma; she has me wrapped around her little finger. But, I see so much of myself in Jack. And, he just got an awesome haircut today and Amy sent me a great picture of it, so he's been on my mind. Being away from Jack, Emma and Amy is harder than I ever could've imagined when I decided to stay in before the kids were born. But...

I'd still make the same decision. I'm proud of the work that I and the Sailors I lead do. A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Keep calm and sail on.

No comments:

Post a Comment