Tuesday, August 20, 2013

AP Chemistry

So, I never took AP Chemistry in High School and, quiet honestly, it was the course at USNA that I really struggled with. So, it's definitely odd that here I am 14 years after Plebe Chemistry, as the Chemistry-Radiological Assistant (CRA). One of the aspects of the job that I didn't REALLY appreciate until I had to do it, was the check chemistry program. Basically, we watch and critique others on how they perform their analysis. Well, the Reactor Officer has to watch the CRA perform ALL the analysis. So, the past week has felt like an AP Chemistry final practical without taking the class. After most of our analysis sessions I feel like Emma here:





This position has definitely pushed me outside my comfort zone. And that's okay. 

I'm not the technical expert of the division, nor do I need or want to be. I know enough to ask the right questions and to recognize when something doesn't look right. 

I do know what great divisions and departments look like and a pretty good idea of how to get there.

Here's to more getting dirty...

No comments:

Post a Comment