Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Music & Motivation


I've started singing in the choir at church. It's been over 10 years since music was a constant part of life, and I didn't realize it, but I missed it. I sing in the car and to put the kids to sleep, but to be reading music, playing the piano, practicing chord progression... it's been a while. I'm rusty, but it's coming back pretty quickly. One of the aspects I've always appreciated about music is that you're always a student. It requires repetition. It's a forcing function that requires attention, skill and motivation.

Having forcing functions like that is a good thing.

Today I went on a run; what I call my Career Motivational Loop. I start off from the ship, run the length of the waterfront, loop back along the Admiral's houses, round off by the marina and finish along the water back to the ship. It ends up being about 5 miles and it's a great run. It's observing 45 years of life work from rising to Command of a ship to selection to Flag to retirement on a sailboat in 45 minutes during lunch.

Having forcing functions that cause us to be introspective, to consciously rededicate our efforts is a good thing.

Here's to more runs and more music.

- Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment